Here’s a quick recipe for making apple chips in your oven. You just need apples, cinnamon, water and some lemon juice. Dried apples are great, healthy snacks by themselves or in a trail mix. They can make a good handmade gift item, too! Here’s how you do it…
- Peel and slice your apples thinly. Some people prefer to leave the peels on, so it’s up to you. Also, it doesn’t take too many apples. A couple will likely fill up an entire cookie sheet.
- Once you slice the apples, place them in a bowl of water. The bowl should have about 2 cup of water, 1/4 cup lemon juice, 1 teaspoon of cinnamon and 1 teaspoon of sugar.
- After the apples have soaked for 3 to 5 minutes, pull them out and lay them flat on the cookie sheet. Sprinkle with a cinnamon/sugar mixture, about 2 parts sugar to 1 part cinnamon. Remember that a little goes a long way. You don’t want to coat them. You just want to give them a little flavor.
- Bake at a low temperature for several hours. It depends on how much time you have. Either bake them for 175° for 2 to 3 hours or 250° for an hour to an hour and a half. When you’re drying fruit like this, remember that it’s a slow process. Don’t try to rush it!
- Flip the apples over halfway through. Then store in a dry container.
- If you want to give them as a gift, consider putting them in a decorative tin with a bow.